In order for a child to be admitted to any public school, 5-Year-Old Kindergarten through Grade 12, that child must have the following required vaccinations and immunizations.
Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis
(DTP, DT, DTaP, Td or Tdap)
- Four (4) dose minimum — One dose must be on or after the child’s fourth birthday.
- For unvaccinated or incompletely vaccinated children 7 years of age and older, refer to currently published Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices’ Catch-Up Schedule for number of doses necessary to complete diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis series, and meet this requirement.
- The Department of Health and Environmental Control requires all seventh-, eighth-, ninth-, 10th-, 11th- and 12th-graders to have one dose of a Tdap booster on or after their 7th birthday. Tdap also protects them from tetanus and diphtheria.
- In order to register your seventh-grader, you will need to bring a completed South Carolina Certificate of Immunization that shows that your seventh-grader has received a Tdap booster.
- Three dose minimum — One dose must be on or after child’s fourth birthday.
- The final dose in the IPV series should be on the fourth birthday or older, regardless of the number of previous doses.
- Students already enrolled in Grades 7–12 are in compliance if they have had: three (3) doses with one dose on or after the fourth birthday OR four (4) doses before the fourth birthday.
Two (2) dose minimum — Rubeola (Measles) vaccine must be received on or after the first birthday and separated by at least one month.
Rubella (German Measles)
One dose minimum — Rubella (German Measles) vaccine must be received on or after the first birthday.
One (1) dose minimum — Mumps vaccine must be received on or after the first birthday.
Three (3) dose minimum — The Hepatitis B vaccine, required for all students, must be received at the proper intervals.
Two (2) dose minimum — Two doses of the Varicella vaccine are now required for all 5-year-old kindergarten and first-, second-, third- and fourth-grade students. Both doses must have been received on or after the first birthday and separated by one month.
Students in Grades 5 through 12 must have received one (1) dose of the Varicella vaccine on or after their 1st birthday. Students with a documented case of chickenpox are exempt from this requirement.